Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Las Vegas Alive at Family Partnership

Last Wednesday I had the opportunity to visit two classes at the Family Partnership school. Mr Marlow was kind enough to invite me to his NM History classes. (Forgive me guys, I'm not sure what class periods those were.)

We played a version of Las Vegas Alive, and it was absolutely wonderful! All the students participated, took on a character, and divided into two communities. Each community had a "quest" that the community members had to actively take a role in solving.

For example in the first class, (which someone correct me if I'm wrong, but i think was comprised of 9th and 10th graders), one community was given the "quest": "You're community is struck with an Influenza epidemic. How do each of you help get the community through the crisis?".

The five students each found a way to help their community. The school teacher helped occupy the time of the healthy children so they wouldn't worry, the Mortician was busy with funerals and asked the farmer to help build coffins, the soldier rode to Ft Union to look for a doctor there, and, the outlaw rode to another community and stole needed supplies. (Class - did I forget anyone in this group?)

Each character was more developed than what I'm saying here. But, if you want to know more you will have to come in and play the game yourself, or have me come to your class and play there. :)

Both classes had a lot to offer, and really dove into their characters. It was fun and educational. I hope I have the chance to play again either in their classroom, or in the museum. So students be on your best behavior so you can earn a field trip!! The game plays entirely different in the museum, which means endless fun.

I encourage other teachers, or groups to contact me about testing Las Vegas Alive! in your setting. Home-schooled children could come in as a larger group, or we could meet anyplace convenient. Also, it is a fun game for families on their own.

I look forward to enjoying more characters, community buildings, and interactive history. Just to show how much the kids enjoyed it, I'm including some quotes from the surveys:
Question: Name things you learned today that you hadn't known before.
Answers:
"US Territory 1846, the train came 1879"
"New Mexico became state in 1912"
"I learned about Stephen Kearney, how our first ancestors lived, and how the town worked together"

Question: Why was this game fun?
Answers:
"Because you had a lot of choices"
"Interactive"
"Because we got to do different things"
"Because I enjoyed getting my education ways other than reading a book"

I look forward to more!! Thank you students, thank you Mr. Marlow, and thank you Family Partnership.

No comments:

Post a Comment